Unless you watch high-level Kickboxing or Muay Thai, you might think the sloppy checks in MMA are the right way to do it. Learning how to check kicks to the body or leg is super easy so I don’t get why there are so many lazy fighters out there. Don’t be lazy! Learn to check you kicks like a pro.
Key points to remember:
- Angle your hip outward so your shin makes contact with their shin every time
- Bring your knee to you elbow
- Elbow needs to be touching the outside of your knee for support and so the kick doesn’t break through the guard
- Aim to block with the top ⅓ of your shin
- Don’t hunch over
- Stand strong on your supporting leg